Phoenix Services – Mold

Molds are abundant in nature and serve an important service as bio-degradation agents. However, it is that bio-degradation and the mycotoxins they produce that make some molds very dangerous and hazardous to your health, safety, and the structure of your home.

Some studies claim that exposure to high levels of mycotoxins can lead to neurological problems, respiratory complications, severe allergic reactions (watery, itchy eyes, a chronic cough, headaches or migraines, difficulty breathing, rashes, tiredness, sinus problems, nasal blockage and frequent sneezing, etc.) and in some cases death.

Thankfully, not all molds create mycotoxins, and that is why it is important to have proper testing done to determine what molds, and level of toxicity, are present. Phoenix Restoration & Environmental Services takes great care in accurate testing to ensure our clients’ health is protected.

The bio-degradation aspect of mold can cause serious damage to your homes’ health as well. Bio-degradation is the “breaking down” of organic material for energy. Unlike plants that utilize photosynthesis for food, molds use enzymes to break down organic material into simpler substances to be absorbed for energy; Organic materials such as starches, lignin and cellulose, which are all basic components of plants. This is why if mold is left untreated in your home, it can literally decompose the wood members on which it sits by causing rot.

The type of mold and the severity of the condition will determine the proper course of action to safely mitigate the mold, fix any resulting damage and treat the affected areas to inhibit any further growth. However, nothing can truly rid you of any mold problems but removing what mold needs to breed, and in most structures, that’s water!

Moisture is the main reason mold propagates in a home or business, because water is getting to wood or other materials inside the structures cavities. Since most mold starts out “unnoticed”, it remains untreated. As mold grows, it is actually reproducing, creating more mold that push out more spores and so on. So as mold grows bigger, it grows stronger! If you have mold which may have started hidden and has now become “big” enough to be noticed, it’s probably already causing ill effects to your health and should be taken care of immediately. Call Phoenix and have that mold treated professionally the first time.